background

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spring Fast Forward

Spring is one of my favorite seasons, second only to fall.  In my mind it just can not beat crisp cool breezes, college football, nights spent sitting in front of a fire pit surrounded by good friends, and the changing of the leaves.  Spring is filled with so many signs of new beginnings and growth, budding trees and plants, birds chirping, and praise the Lord for the end of snow and below freezing temperatures.  However, in our family spring is also like a tightly wound coil that lets loose and greatly accelerates the "speed of life".  The term "spring forward" takes on a much more literal sense for us besides changing our clocks.  The first month is a real challenge as indoor and outdoor soccer seasons overlap, resulting in even more games every weekend with 2 kids playing on different teams.  We also add back in running club, which I help coach, horseback riding, and my oldest just bridged over from cub scouts to boy scouts.  Needless to say we are living outdoors whether it is on the track, at the stables, on the soccer sidelines, or at a campsite.  I wouldn't have it any other way though.  The alternative of being cooped indoors with my three kiddos glued to Mine craft, Fashion Nails, Terraria or whatever "game/app of the week" makes my stomach churn.  In fact, we recently adopted a "no electronics during the school week" rule and I love it.  It was actually a formality because essentially we are never home, but nonetheless it exists. 

I say all this to preface why I have tentatively disappeared, and my recipe posting has been put on hold.  I am actively testing grain-free graham crackers, and my husband has requested an "approved" chocolate chip cookie to help compensate for watching the kids consume all the girl scout cookies in our house.  LOL!  They were the one thing I just could not throw away.  We have been eating clean for almost 8 weeks now and, after one last pantry clean-out last week, are essentially grain-free in our house.  Our vacation over spring break was very eye-opening.  After several days at amusement parks, and 5 days of eating at restaurants, it took my body almost a week to recover!  The optimist side of me would say it was a great learning experience.  I try to keep an 80/20 mindset.  80% clean-eating, and 20% "cheat".  However, I have quickly learned that grain-free for me is not simply a diet.  It is a life-style, and what works for my body to stay healthy, happy, and energetic. 

I have also adopted a few new hobbies recently.  After 7 years, I finally opened one of my Christmas presents and have started dipping my toe in the creative waters of sewing.  I have no earthly idea why I let my fear of perfectionism prevent me from it for so long, but alas, I'm glad I have finally overcome it.  I sewed 2 new pillows for our front porch last week, and I am literally having to discipline myself with a chore list to complete before my next trip to the fabric store.  I jokingly told a friend my kids may have new bedding by the end of summer and now I'm not sure that was such a longshot.  I find such similarities in cooking (which is my first passion) and sewing.  It's like therapy for me to watch the combination of ingredients or materials, mixed with passion and love come together to something wonderful, delicious, creative, and fun.




I also recently acquired another "toy".  After much thought, research, and debate, we joined the Vitamix family this weekend! (insert girlish squeal of excitement here)  Talk about love at first sight, I have a slightly concerning affection for it.  I use it every day for everything from hot fresh soups to ice cream.  The last time I was this excited about an appliance was when we brought home my keurig.  Poor guy probably thinks he's just sloppy seconds now, but I assure him every morning while Vitamix can do pretty much anything, the one thing he can not do is make coffee or tea, and that my friends, is crucial to this momma's happiness.  

Looking forward to posting more recipes this weekend.  I have almost polished up my chocolate avocado mousse, coconut milk ice cream, and my absolute favorite go-to weeknight dinner, Bruschetta Chicken over Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Garlic & Asparagus.  Yum!  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I hear the washing machine calling me back to reality.  Have a blessed week my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment