background

Friday, April 25, 2014

Mama Want a Cracker????

I feel the need to apologize.  I have had a bad case of spring fever and have let all my "some day projects" take over my life.  I feel the proverbial clock ticking as summer approaches and my free/me time will be drastically reduced with all the kiddos around.  So I am attempting to get as much done as possible in what little time I have left.  Rest assured I have been busy in the kitchen too creating more delicious (& healthy) recipes, but alas there are only so many hours in the day and thus the blog has suffered great neglect.  The plus side is that I have a stack full of posts just ready & waiting to share with you.  Everything from chalk painting & stenciling walls (my newest obsession) to tofu & graham crackers.  Nothing like a little variety right?!?! 

So let's get crackin'....

I am not a big bread eater.  I've never been a fan of sandwiches, toast, buns, etc.  But crackers are a whole different category.  My absolute favorite snack is peanut butter & graham crackers.  Can you say "healthy nutter butter cookie knock off".  LOL!   I have been determined to recreate a somewhat simple, grain-free version to satisfy this childhood indulgence and I can finally say (in the words of Professor Higgins from My Fair Lady)  "By George, She's got it!"

 
Grain-Free Graham Crackers
 
(these are gluten-free, and dairy-free)
 
 
 
 
Ingredients:
 
1/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup almond flour
2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon honey
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
 
Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
 
In a medium mixing bowl, combine coconut flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking soda, & cinnamon.  Stir to combine.
 
In a separate small bowl mix together honey, egg, and vanilla.
 
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until moistened.  Stir in melted coconut oil.  Dough should form a stiff ball.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
 
 
 
Roll the dough out to 1/8" thickness (i.e. super thin) between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
 
 

 
Remove top sheet of parchment paper and cut dough into desired shape using small cookie cutters or a pizza wheel.
 
 

 
Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until edges are starting to brown. 
 
Remove from oven, cool for 1-2 minutes & break into crackers. 
 
Store in an air-tight container.
 
I prefer to slather mine with some fresh-ground peanut butter and a slice of banana, but to each their own.
 
Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment